The Regina Police Service has arrested an 18 year-old Regina male in connection with six recent robberies in the city of Regina in the past two weeks. The arrest occurred when police were able to locate a blue Subaru Impreza last night, November 26, 2014. This vehicle, now known to be a vehicle stolen from Saskatoon on November 15th, is believed to have been used in commission of several offences. A 20 year-old female was also arrested last night and is charged with Possession of Stolen Property in connection with the vehicle. This investigation is ongoing.
The cases are as follows:
1) Robbery – Nov 19th – police were dispatched just after 7:30 p.m. for a report of a robbery at a business in the 1200 block of East 14th Avenue. Preliminary investigation indicated two male suspects, one of whom carried a knife, entered the business and demanded cash and merchandise from the two clerks. The suspects fled in a vehicle. The clerks were not harmed.
2) Robbery – Nov. 19th – at about 9:56 p.m., police were dispatched to a robbery in the 2100 block of Scarth Street for a report that two males had robbed a 40 year-old male of personal property and his vehicle. The victim was driving east bound on 14th Avenue and stopped at the stop sign on the Scarth Street intersection. Two males, one carrying a knife, exited a dark-coloured sedan, approached the victim’s car and pulled the victim out of his vehicle. The victim was assaulted and had his cell phone stolen. Both suspects fled, one in their vehicle, the other in the victim’s vehicle.
3) Robbery – November 21st – At 9:38 p.m., police responded to a robbery that occurred at a food store in the 200 block of Victoria Avenue. Four male suspects, accompanied by a female, entered the store and demanded merchandise. One of the males had a knife. They fled the store and it is unknown what vehicle, if any, was used in this incident.
4) Robbery – November 21st – At 11:30 p.m., police were dispatched to a robbery at a restaurant in the 3900 block of Albert Street. Three male suspects entered the business and demanded cash. When the employee alerted a co-worker, the suspects fled in a vehicle (no description of the vehicle obtained).
5) Attempt Robbery – November 21st – At 11:52 p.m. police responded to a report of an attempt robbery of a vehicle. A 32 year-old male, entered a restaurant in the 4600 block of Albert Street and left his vehicle running and unlocked. The victim saw a male in his vehicle and went out to confront the suspect. The suspect drove the vehicle into a fence and then a second suspect, with a knife, approached the victim . Both suspects fled in a blue Subaru Impreza.
6) Robbery – November 22nd – Police were dispatched to a convenience store in the 1800 block of 9th Avenue North at about 12:57 a.m. Preliminary investigation indicates four male suspects and one female suspect entered the store and demanded cash and merchandise. One of the male suspects had a knife. The suspects fled in a vehicle. Police saw a similar vehicle a short time later in the same area and attempted to stop it. The driver of the vehicle evaded police, who pursued the vehicle for a short distance on the Ring Road. When the vehicle headed toward a residential neighbourhood, officers discontinued the pursuit. The vehicle was later spotted heading west-bound out of the city toward Moose Jaw. Moose Jaw Police were notified; they, in turn, attempted to stop the vehicle, which evaded them and continued west of Moose Jaw toward Caronport. RCMP were notified of the suspect vehicle, but it was not located that night.
Charged in connection with this case is 18 year-old Marlon Leslie Holryd COATES, DOB: 1995-12-19, of Regina. COATES is facing 18 charges at this time: six charges of Robbery [343 CC]; seven charges of Breach of Probation [733.1(1) CC]; three counts of Wearing a Disguise during the commission of an indictable offence [351(2) CC]; one charge of Evade Police [249(1)(a) CC] and one charge of Possession of Stolen Property (Subaru Impreza) [355(a) CC]. COATES faces two outstanding warrants on other matters. COATES will make his first court appearance on these charges at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 27, 2014.
Also charged in connection with this case is 20 year-old Holly Marie STARUIALA, DOB: 1994-10-25, of Regina. She is charged with Possession of Stolen Property (Subaru Impreza) [355(a) CC]. STARUIALA made her first court appearance on this charge at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, November 27, 2014.
This investigation is ongoing.