A 30 year-old male and a 24 year-old female, both of Regina, are facing a total of 30 charges after police stopped a stolen vehicle on Friday, August 21, 2015. The charges stem from a series of criminal incidents including four theft of fuel (gas drive-off), a shoplifting incident, a collision, possession of a stolen vehicle and a shoplifting incident involving a machete.
On Friday, August 21, 2015, at about 10:00 p.m., plain clothes members of the Regina Police Service located a Ford Taurus that had been identified as stolen and was believed to have been used in the commission of other offences. The vehicle was stopped in the 2000 block of Angus Street and police arrested the two occupants: a male and female, for Possession of Stolen Property under $5,000. A large machete was found inside the vehicle. With the two in custody, officers examined other recent offences with similar circumstances and suspect and vehicle descriptions. These incidents included:
– On June 17, 2015, at approximately 3:00 a.m., a male suspect entered a convenience store in the 1100 block North Devonshire Drive. The male requested some merchandise from the employee on duty and then distracted her with additional requests. The male suspect grabbed some merchandise from the counter and fled, getting into a waiting vehicle. Although frightened, the clerk was not physically harmed.
– On June 24, 2015 police responded to the area of 6th Avenue and Princess Street for a report of a multi-vehicle collision. A grey Lexus had extensive damage to the driver’s side and airbags had been deployed. A dark colored Ford Taurus was abandoned and on fire. A black Nissan had some damage to its front driver’s side bumper. Preliminary investigation indicated the Taurus first struck the Lexus, then the Nissan and then hit a chain link fence. The Ford Taurus had been reported stolen.
– On August 8, 2015, at about 10:55 a.m., police were dispatched to a service station in the 6000 block of Rochdale Boulevard for a report of a theft of fuel. Investigation indicates a suspect pulled up to the pumps, filled the car, a Ford Taurus, with fuel and drove away without paying.
– On August 8, 2015, the Regina Police Service received a report of a stolen Ford Taurus from a residence on Kleisinger Crescent.
– On August 12, 2015, at about 4:12 p.m., police received a report of a theft of fuel from a service station in the 2000 block of Victoria Avenue. Preliminary investigation indicated a Ford Taurus had driven up to the pump; a female filled the gas tank and the vehicle drove away.
– On August 14, 2015 at about 9:30 p.m., police received another report of a theft of fuel from the same location, 2000 block Victoria Avenue. Further investigation revealed the vehicle involved was the same one used in the August 12th incident.
– On August 17, 2015, police were dispatched to a weapons offence at a grocery store in the 3900 block of Albert Street. A male and a female in the store appeared to be putting items in a purse. When confronted by a store employee, they denied taking anything. The female suspect then emptied the items from the bag as the male produced a machete and made threatening comments and gestures. The two fled in a Ford Taurus.
– On August 21, 2015, at about 6:57 p.m. the Regina Police Service received a report of a theft of fuel. A male drove a Ford vehicle up to the pumps, filled up with gas and then left without paying for the fuel.
Investigation led to numerous charges against the male and female suspect in custody.
Thirty year-old Alex Todd DESJARLAIS, DOB: 1984-10-13, of Regina is facing 22 charges in total. They are: eleven charges of Breach of Undertaking [145(3) CC]; six charges of Theft Under $5,000 [334(b)CC]; one charge of Assault with a Weapon [267(a) CC]; one charge of Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC] and three charges of Possession of Stolen Property under $5,000 [355(b)]. DESJARLAIS made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. today: Monday, August 24, 2015.
Twenty-four year-old Samantha Marlene KAKAKAWAY, DOB: 1990-12-18, of Regina is facing two charges of Possession of Stolen Property under $5,000 [355(b)]; two charges of Theft under $5,000 [334(b) CC] and four charges of Breach of Probation [733.1(1) CC] – eight charges in total. KAKAKAWAY was released on an undertaking to appear in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on September 29, 2015.