A 36 year-old Regina male faces several firearms-related charges after a traffic stop and subsequent seizure of a shotgun last night.
On August 30, 2016, at approximately 6:55 p.m., officers on patrol in the Cathedral area noticed a red, hatchback vehicle picking up speed and driving erratically. The officers initiated a traffic stop on the vehicle, which pulled over at 13th Avenue and Elphinstone Street. Initially, the driver would not produce identification or give his name and officers noted a knife in the vehicle, within reach of the driver. The driver was asked to exit the car; he then gave a false name to officers. Eventually the officers were able to establish his identity and learned he was the subject of warrants. The male was arrested on the warrants and the vehicle towed. A subsequent search of the vehicle yielded several items including plastic masks, knives and a shotgun. The male was subsequently charged.
Thirty-six year-old Ramie Louis BELLEGARDE, DOB: 1980-03-11, of Regina, is facing eight charges:
– Careless Use of a Firearm, s. 86(1) CC;
– Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle, s. 94(1) CC;
– Carrying Concealed Prohibited Device, s. 90 CC;
– Possession of Firearm, contrary to prohibition, s. 117.01(1) CC;
– Obstruction of Peace Officer, s. 129(a) CC; and
– 3 x Breach of Probation, s. 733.1(1) CC.
BELLEGARDE will make his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 31, 2016.