Two males appeared in court on Monday, August 22nd as the result of investigation into drug trafficking in the city of Regina. Items seized in the search of an Ottawa Street residence included an SKS semi-automatic rifle and ammunition.
On Saturday, August 20, 2016, at approximately 10:30 p.m., members of the Regina Integrated Drug Enforcement Street Team, assisted by other units of the RPS, executed a CDSA search warrant on a residence in the 1600 block of Ottawa Street. Officers attempted to breach the rear door of the residence, but both front and rear doors were heavily barricaded. After a few minutes, officers gained entry and located four males and one female in the house. They were all detained as part of the investigation. Two of the males were found to have breached court-ordered conditions or had outstanding warrants; two of the males and the female were later released without charge. The warrant search of the residence revealed drug packaging, an SKS semi-automatic rifle and a clip containing rounds of ammunition. There was also a large machete located inside the residence, which was seized. Further investigation led to charges against two of the male suspects.
Twenty-one year-old John Daniel WATKIN, DOB: 1994-09-21 of Regina, is charged with:
– Careless Storage of a Firearm – s. 86(1) CC,
– Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm – s. 91(1) CC,
– Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device – s. 91(2) CC,
– Fail to Comply with Conditions of Judge Undertaking – Keep the Peace – s. 145(3) CC,
– Fail to Comply with Conditions of Judge Undertaking – Residence – s. 145(3) CC
Twenty-five year-old Dane Stephen LASLOW, DOB: 1991-07-25 of Regina, is charged with:
– Resist Arrest, s. 129(a) CC.,
– 3 charges of Breach of Probation, s. 733.1(1) CC.
Both LASLOW and WATKIN made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, August 22, 2016.