A 35 year-old male is facing numerous charges after a weapons incident on Tuesday, March 28, 2017, at a residence in the 1000 block of Retallack Street. Police also located and seized a sawed-off .22 calibre rifle and ammunition in a search of the residence.
The incident began at about 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017, when police received a call indicating a male had entered a house in the 1000 block of Retallack Street carrying a firearm. Patrol units responded and set up a perimeter around the house. Initially, three persons exited the house and were briefly taken into custody. Police Crisis Negotiators attended the scene and negotiated a female out of the house, just before 3:00 p.m., leaving one male inside. The male was refusing to exit the house and threatening harm to himself and police. Members of the Special Weapons and Tactics Team were authorized; however, the suspect male exited the house just prior to SWAT arrival. A Canine Team was used in the arrest, when the male refused police commands and attempted to get into a nearby vehicle. (As with any other use of force, the canine deployment is reported to a Use-of-Force Review Board and the Saskatchewan Police Commission.) The male was taken into custody and transported to hospital for treatment of his injury. Further investigation led to charges. A search of the house was completed and a sawed-off rifle was found, hidden in the house, along with ammunition.
Thirty-five year-old Joseph Etienne POITRAS, DOB: 1981-09-12, of Regina, is charged with:
- Two charges of Careless Use of a Firearm, Prohibited Device or Ammunition, s. 86(1) CC;
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm, s. 92(1) CC:
- Possession of a Loaded or Restricted Firearm, s. 95(1)(a) CC;
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm Obtained by Crime, s. 96(1) CC;
- Tampering with Serial Number of a Firearm, s. 108(1)(a) CC;
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace, s. 88 CC; and
- Two charges of Breach of Undertaking, s. 145(5.1) CC
POITRAS made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, March 29, 2017.