A 30 year-old Regina male is facing numerous charges in connection with a stolen auto incident yesterday morning.
On Tuesday, March 7, 2017, police received a report from the owner of a red, Pontiac 6000 that her vehicle had been stolen. On Thursday, March 9th the vehicle was seen in the 600 block of Athol Street. As police went to that location, they observed the vehicle, eastbound on 6th Avenue, driving on the wrong side of the road. The vehicle was seen northbound on Albert Street, out of the city and then southbound on Albert, driving at a very high speed, approaching traffic stopped at a red light. Police were able to see the vehicle driver and noted that the Pontiac turned to enter a parking lot. A short time later, a male matching the description of the suspect was arrested, without incident, in a nearby business. A search of the suspect and subsequent investigation into the vehicle theft and other incidents including: a Break and Enter on December 2, 2016; and a Theft of Auto on December 22, 2016; led to numerous charges against this individual.
Thirty year-old Vaughan Wilbert SMOKER, DOB: 1986-04-23, of Regina, is facing ten charges:
- Theft of Motor Vehicle, s. 333.1(1) CC;
- 3 x Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5,000 , s. 355(b) CC;
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, s. 249(1)(a) CC;
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon (knife), s. 90 CC;
- Possession of Break In Instruments, s. 351(1) CC;
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (methamphetamine), s. 4(1) CDSA;
- Theft under $5,000.s. 334(b) CC;
- Break, Enter and Commit Mischief, s. 348(1)(b)
The accused made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. today, Friday, March 10, 2017.