A 34 year-old Regina male is facing a number of firearms charges, including pointing a firearm at a police officer, as the result of a domestic-related incident on Friday, July 21, 2017.
At approximately 1:34 p.m. on Friday, July 21, 2017, police were dispatched to a domestic assault in the 700 block Rae Street. Information in the call indicated a female was screaming; another caller reported witnessing a male striking a female in the face. Two officers arrived minutes later and found a 35 year-old woman inside the house, holding a small child. She exited the house as police heard a male yelling from a bedroom. One officer attempted to negotiate the male out of the room and it’s alleged, at one point, the suspect pointed a long-barrelled firearm at the officer before retreating back into the bedroom. As other units arrived on scene, the primary officer (from a position outside the house) negotiated the suspect out of the house with nothing in his hands. The male suspect was safely taken into custody and the subsequent search of the house located a loaded shotgun. Further investigation led to a number of charges, including the initial assault on the female victim. Fortunately, the victim did not sustain serious physical injuries.
Thirty-four year-old Jerry Raymond KEEWATIN, DOB: 1983-05-07, of Regina is facing nine charges:
- Assault, s. 266 CC.;
- Possession of a Weapon (shotgun) Dangerous to Public Peace, s. 88 CC;
- Careless Use of a Firearm, s. 86(1) CC;
- Use of a Firearm in the Commission of an Indictable Offence, s. 85(1)(a) CC;
- Pointing a Firearm, s. 88 CC;
- Possession of a Firearm, Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized, s. 92(1) CC;
- Possession of a Firearm, Obtained by Crime, s. 96(1); and
- 2 x Possession of a Firearm contrary to Prohibition Order, s. 117.01 CC
KEEWATIN made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, July 24, 2017.