On Saturday, July 8th, 2017, the Saskatchewan Roughriders will take on the Hamilton Tiger at the new Mosaic Stadium. Since it’s the inaugural year of New Mosaic Stadium, this will be a busy event so expect busier roads and lots of pedestrian traffic in the area before and after the game. Please exercise plenty of patience while driving. Game time is 8:00 p.m. so allow extra time for travel and watch for pedestrians, vehicles, and trains. Consider taking the FREE Football Express bus to and from the game. The Regina Police Service has additional officers assigned to manage the high volume of traffic and to enhance safety for all game attendees and residents of the area.
Traffic restrictions will affect the 1500, 1600, and 1700 blocks of Elphinstone Street beginning at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 8th. Access will be limited to Regina Transit buses and local residents only (you may be asked to show that you are a local resident, e.g. home address on identification or correspondence). Fans and motorists will find road closures on:
• 1500 block of Elphinstone Street at Dewdney Avenue;
• Princess Street and 9th Avenue
• Argyle Street and 9th Avenue;
• MacTavish Street and 9th Avenue;
• Elphinstone Street and 9th Avenue;
• Elphinstone Street and 10th Avenue;
• Elphinstone Street and North Railway Street
• Saskatchewan Drive and Elphinstone Street;
After the game: Sask Drive from Montague to Argyle St will be closed and traffic also restricted in the 1700 block of Elphinstone St. Note this is only for post-game not pre-game.
Police are asking motorists and pedestrians to follow directions, have patience and be courteous to other users of the road.
Other reminders to help everyone enjoy game days include:
1) Remove all valuables from your vehicle and lock the doors. There will be additional police patrols around the stadium during games to deter theft-from-auto and theft-of-auto, but it’s always better to remove or reduce the opportunity for crime (officers cannot be everywhere at once);
2) Respect the neighbourhood. The New Mosaic Stadium is in a residential neighbourhood and visitors should always ensure they park vehicles legally, refrain from littering and respect the property of others;
3) Consider using FREE public transit (pickup at 4 locations, quick and easy!) or car-pooling to make your travel plans easier. Regina Transit has provided a new Football Express transit route which can be found at regina.ca/football-express;
4) Football fans are great multi-taskers. Some can enjoy an alcoholic beverage AND watch the game. That’s not an issue with us as long as a) they’re old enough to drink legally and b) they don’t try to operate a motor vehicle while impaired. Please don’t drink and drive; our cruisers aren’t comfortable.
5) Make your game plans before you drive; remember to not use your phone while driving. Same goes for pedestrians; walking while texting/talking can be dangerous in crowds and on roads.
6) See tracks? Think train! Stay off and away from the train tracks. Anytime is train time, and trains are very dangerous. Do not try to “beat” the train while the stop-arms are coming down and the train is approaching. Do not play on or around train cars, and do not go near a moving train. Please act responsibly and safely.
Enjoy Game Day in the new stadium and be safe! Go Riders!