A 25 year-old Regina male is facing charges of Possession of Stolen Property, Breaches and numerous weapons-related charges after an investigation and arrest stemming from a stolen truck.
Sometime between 10:30 p.m. on September 15th and 10:00 a.m. September 16th, a Ford F250 truck was stolen from a compound located in the 3300 block of Pasqua Street. On Tuesday, September 19, 2017, police received information the stolen truck was spotted in the area of Parliament Avenue and Bell Street. Investigators from the Stolen Auto Unit as well as members from Patrol went to the area and located the vehicle, operated by a male driver. The vehicle was covertly followed to a location outside the city limits to the south east. There, the vehicle slid into a ditch and police were able to safely arrest the driver for Possession of Stolen Property (truck). Further investigation confirmed the male was the subject of a number of criminal code warrants for drug and weapons offences: he was also subject to conditions of an undertaking. The subsequent search of the stolen vehicle yielded two long-barreled firearms, three zip-guns (fabricated firearm), numerous rounds of various ammunition, marihuana, drug paraphernalia, several knives and weapons, and numerous tools and electronics, believed to be stolen. The investigation is ongoing. To date, the accused faces a total of 11 charges.
Twenty-five year-old Kyle OTWAY, DOB: 1991-10-01, of Regina, is charged with the following offences:
- Breach of Undertaking, [145(3) CC];
- Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition contrary to Prohibition Order, [117.01(1) CC];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5,000, [355(a) CC];
- 2 x Careless Use of Firearm or Ammunition, [86(1) CC];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance, [4(1) CDSA];
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace, [88 CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Vehicle, [94(1) CC];
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition, [95(1)(a) CC];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized, [92(1) CC]; and
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing it was obtained by Crime, [96(1) CC].
OTWAY will make his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 20, 2017.