On Wednesday, February 28, 2018, a Regina Police Service member discharged a CEW, commonly known as a Taser, in an arrest. This is an update to a news release released yesterday, February 28, 2018.
On Wednesday, February 28, 2018, at approximately 1:36 p.m., police were dispatched to multiple reports of a male pointing a firearm at numerous people from a vehicle at different locations. The male was also reported to have struck another vehicle while driving, and subsequently threatened to shoot the driver of the struck vehicle.
Police located the male in the vehicle at 12th Avenue and Ottawa Street. The male resisted police attempts to remove him from the vehicle. Due to immediate need for control due to a high risk of death or serious bodily harm, and an officer successfully deployed the CEW making contact with the male. The male was taken into custody and transported to the hospital by Emergency Medical Services (EMS) as a precaution.
Police located a pellet gun, believed to have been the item used as an imitation firearm to pose firearm threats to the public.
It was determined that the vehicle used by the male was a stolen vehicle. It was also determined that the male had robbed another male at gunpoint at the 500 block of Montreal Street, just prior to the initial call for service. The male was charged accordingly, facing 18 charges in total.
Twenty-six year-old Axyl Tyler MAHINGEN, of Regina, is charged with:
- Armed robbery using a firearm [CC 344(1)(A.1)];
- 2 X Assault with a weapon [CC 267(A)];
- Driving while ability impaired [CT 253(1)(A)];
- Fail or refuse to provide sample [CT 254(5)];
- Fail to comply with probation order [CC 733.1(1)];
- Fail to stop at scene of accident [CC 252(1.1)];
- 2 X Pointing a firearm [CC 87];
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000 [CC 355(A)];
- Possession of a firearm/prohibited weapon obtained by crime [CC 96(1)];
- 2 X Possession of a weapon [CC 88];
- 2 X Possession of firearm/ammunition contrary to prohibition order
- Resist Arrest [CC 129(A)]; and
- 2 X Use of firearm during commission of an indictable offence [CC 85(1)(A)].
MAHINGEN made his first appearance in Provincial Court on these charges today, March 1, 2018, at 9:30 a.m.