Two Regina males, ages 27 and 32, are facing numerous charges as the result of an investigation into a stolen vehicle, spotted yesterday evening. Both males also had numerous warrants, including evading police, possession of stolen property and firearms-related offences.
The arrests occurred as the result of police spotting a vehicle believed to be a stolen auto, in the area of 3rd Avenue and Albert Street, at about 7:35 p.m. on Wednesday, April 25, 2018. Officers verified the vehicle as stolen and observed the two occupants of the vehicle enter a business in the 700 block of Albert Street. Police were able to enter the business and safely take both suspects into custody, without incident. A search of the vehicle produced a sawed-off double-barrel shotgun, under the driver’s seat and ammunition in the back seat. A search of the suspects resulted in the discovery of cocaine, marihuana and a substance believed to be fentanyl. Further investigation resulted in numerous charges against both males.
The accused are 32 year-old Vaughan Wilbert SMOKER and 27 year-old Dustin Martin Lyle MORIN, both of Regina. Both men are jointly charged with:
– Possession of Property (vehicle) Obtained by Crime [355(b) CC];
– 2 x Careless Use of a Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition [86(1) CC];
– Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to the Public Peace [88 CC];
– Carrying a Concealed Weapon [90 CC];
– Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC];
– Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition [94(1)(b) CC];
– Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition [95(1)(a) CC]; and
– Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Obtained by Crime [96(1) CC].
In addition: Vaughan Wilbert SMOKER is charged with:
– 6 x Breach of Probation [733.1(1) CC];
– 3 x Breach of Recognizance [145(3) CC];
– Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5,000 [335(a) CC];
– Theft Under $5,000 [334(b)];
– 2 x Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5,000 [335(b) CC];
– Possession of a Scheduled Substance (cannabis marihuana) [4(5) CDSA];
– Possession of a Scheduled Substance (cocaine) [4(1) CDSA];
– Possession of a Scheduled Substance (fentanyl) [4(1) CDSA]; and
– Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [117.01(1) CC].
Dustin Martin Lyle MORIN is also charged with 2 x Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [117.01(1) CC].
Both accused made their first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. today, Thursday, April 26, 2018.