A 23 year-old Regina man is facing numerous drug and firearms charges after a vehicle stop around midnight on Saturday night, May 26, 2018 (extending into early morning hours of Sunday, May 27th). A second suspect is still at large and will also face charges in connection with the same incident.
On Saturday, May 26th, at about 11:36 p.m., Regina Police Service patrol members observed a vehicle, a red Chevrolet Cobalt, engaged in aggressive driving manoeuvers before coming to stop at an address in the 3400 block of Avonhurst Drive. Police pulled in behind the vehicle and initiated a traffic stop. The driver of the vehicle initially spoke to police and provided a false name, before running away. Police officers were not able to locate this suspect again that night. There were two passengers in the vehicle who were initially detained; one gave police a false name. The female passenger was released; the male was in breach of a court-ordered curfew, so he was arrested. A search of the vehicle and a backpack yielded drugs; believed to be methamphetamine, cocaine, hydromorphone and oxycodone; as well as ammunition and a sawed-off .22 calibre rifle; and other items consistent with suspected drug trafficking. The 23 year-old male was subsequently charged. Police have the identity of the second male suspect and are continuing their efforts to locate him.
Twenty-three year-old Christopher Olinto RIOUX, of Regina, faces a total of 14 charges:
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (cocaine) for the Purpose of Trafficking, [5(2) CDSA];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (methamphetamine) for the Purpose of Trafficking, [5(2) CDSA];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (hydropmorphone) for the Purpose of Trafficking, [5(2) CDSA];
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (oxycodone) for the Purpose of Trafficking, [5(2) CDSA];
- Obstruct Peace Officer, [129(a) CC];
- Breach of Undertaking, [145(3) CC];
- Careless Use of a Firearm, [86(1) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace, [88 CC];
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon, [90 CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm, [91(1) CC];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Serial Number has been tampered with, [108(1)(b) CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a prohibited Device or Ammunition in a Motor Vehicle, [94(1)(a)(ii) CC]
- Possession of a Prohibited Firearm (sawed off .22) Contrary to Prohibition Order, [117.01(1) CC]; and
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited Firearm, [95(1) CC].
RIOUX made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, May 28, 2018.