Happy Canada Day, Regina! The Regina Police Service is encouraging all residents to observe and celebrate Canada Day in safety. As in previous years, many Regina Police Service members will be working the Stat holiday to ensure residents, and visitors to our city, have a fun-filled, safe weekend. This first long weekend in summer is always a busy one. On Saturday June 30th, the Saskatchewan Roughriders take on the Montreal Alouettes at Mosaic Stadium. The pre-game program will include a tribute to the Humboldt Broncos.
On Sunday, July 1st, there are numerous Canada Day events planned, including a full day of entertainment at Wascana Park: a Fun Run, Pancake Breakfast, Children’s Stage, the Plywood Cup, Western Canada’s Strongest Man competition and Canada Day Fireworks. Visit //www.reginacanadaday.ca/events.html for more information. As in previous years, the Regina Police Service will have an increased police presence at the park, which includes both uniformed and plain-clothes officers. Our officers will work closely with event staff, private security, volunteers and Canada Day committee members to ensure Canada’s birthday party in Regina is a great experience for all. Members of the public are asked to do their part as well: have a safety plan and keep little ones in sight; park legally and safely; lock vehicles and secure your property; respect others’ property; and be patient. Motorists: make sure you drive with care, mindful of a higher-than-usual number of pedestrians, bikes and strollers. Please do not drive if you consume alcoholic beverages; have a designated driver or plan to get home safely. There will be many helpers in the park: police, event security and volunteers, but if you are in an emergency situation and you can’t see helpers nearby, you can always call 9-1-1.
There are a number of traffic restrictions planned to enhance pedestrian safety in and around Wascana Park. Please anticipate road closures and arrive at events early enough to find a suitable parking spot. Of particular note:
– The lanes on the west side of Albert Street bridge, normally the two south-bound lanes, will accommodate two-way traffic. The east side of the bridge will be closed to vehicles, with two lanes designated for pedestrians (and wagons, strollers, etc.) only. There is no parking allowed on the Albert Street bridge.
– Other streets bordering the park, such as College Avenue, will also have the lanes closest to the park designated for pedestrian use only. Please pay close attention to signage and follow instructions from police and event volunteers.
– During the Fireworks Display, the Albert Street bridge will be closed entirely, except for pedestrians. There will be no vehicle traffic allowed on the bridge starting at approximately 8:00 p.m. until after the Fireworks Display has ended and crowds disperse. If you are travelling from the north to south, or vice versa, please choose a different route as both northbound and southbound traffic will be detoured away from the Albert Street bridge on July 1st evening.
– There will be no parking allowed on Broad Street/Wascana Parkway, between College Avenue and Lakeshore Drive for those who plan to watch the Fireworks Display. Please be aware that sections of the Ring Road are closed for construction.
– Just a suggestion: if you are a dog-owner, consider not bringing your dog to the Fireworks Display. All that noise is distressing for most pets. True story: in 2017, our officers rescued a runaway Chihuahua (in a Canada Day sweater) who had bolted from his owner during the fireworks. We kept him safe until the Humane Society could reunite him with his owner. (Seriously: we did not make that up.)
If it sounds like there are a lot of rules, you’re right. No apologies: safety happens through good planning. We want everyone to enjoy Canada Day, and every other day, in our great country. In summary: no illegal parking, no drinking and driving, no texting and driving. Watch out for pedestrians, be courteous, be patient, be helpful and above all…be proud to be Canadian. Happy Canada Day everyone!