A 68 year-old male was arrested and charged with several firearms-related offences following a traffic stop overnight.
At approximately 1:36 a.m. on Thursday, August 30, 2018, Regina Police Service members on routine patrol were in the area of the 1400 block of McTavish Street. They observed suspicious activity in proximity to a residence known to police to have been the site of previous criminal activity. The officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle, which had just dropped off a male in the area. The driver of the vehicle allowed police to search his vehicle and officers immediately located a sawed-off .22 calibre rifle wrapped in a garment, and a backpack containing several rounds of ammunition. The 68 year-old male was subsequently arrested and charged.
Sixty-eight year-old Paul Frederick GILEWICZ, of Regina, is charged with:
– Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
– Carrying a Concealed Weapon [90 CC];
– Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm [91(1) CC];
– Possession of a Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition [95(1)(a) CC];
– Possession of a Firearm Knowing it was Obtained by Crime [96(1) CC]; and
– Careless Use of a Firearm [86(1) CC].
GILEWICZ made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, August 30, 2018.