A 20 year-old Regina male is facing several charges, including firearms charges, as the result of a stolen auto incident on August 5, 2018.
Police were dispatched, at approximately 1:00 a.m., on Sunday, August 5th, to a business in the 400 block of Albert Street North. The victim of an earlier auto theft had spotted his vehicle stopped at a business in that area. Police were able to get units to the area quickly enough to successfully deploy a spike belt. After the stolen vehicle drove over the spike belt, it continued driving south on Albert Street, even while police vehicles had emergency equipment activated. Police officers observed items being thrown from the vehicle on 6th Avenue. The fleeing vehicle made a few more turns, the driver losing speed and control as the tires deflated. Officers were able to arrest one male, immediately after the vehicle was abandoned in the area of the 1300 block of Wascana Street. It’s believed there were at least two other suspects in the same vehicle, but they are still at large. A loaded, sawed-off shotgun was recovered among the items thrown from the fleeing vehicle. The male who was arrested was subsequently charged with offences in connection with the stolen vehicle and the firearm.
Twenty year-old Micheal Ethan OBEY, of Regina, is charged with:
- Possession of Automobile Master Key [353(1)(b) CC];
- Breach of Probation [733.1(1) CC];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5,000 [355(a) CC];
- Flight while Pursued by Peace Officer [249.1(1) CC];
- Possession of a Firearm Contrary to Prohibition [117.01(1) CC];
- Careless Use of a Firearm [86(1) CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle [94(1) CC]; and
- Possession of a Loaded Firearm [95(1) CC].
OBEY made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, August 7, 2018. Investigation into this matter is ongoing.