A 36 year-old Regina male is facing a number of firearms charges, as well as a charge for possession of a stolen vehicle, after an arrest on Saturday, September 1, 2018.
On Saturday, September 1, 2018, at about 4:30 p.m., police officers spotted a vehicle that had been reported, earlier, as stolen. The vehicle was a distinctive-looking Cadillac CTS, initially spotted at College Avenue and Winnipeg Street. Plain-clothes investigators were able to get a good look at the driver of the vehicle in a few locations around the city, before police were able to safely deploy a tire-deflation device, commonly called a spike-belt. The vehicle was found, abandoned a short time later in an alley in the 600 block of Athol Street and the suspect driver was taken into custody without further incident. The vehicle was searched and a loaded shotgun, ammunition and a pellet gun were found inside. The suspect had an outstanding warrant and was on a prohibition from possession firearms. Subsequent investigation led to a number of charges against this individual.
Thirty-six year-old Jason Lee SPARVIER, of Regina, is charged with:
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5,000 (vehicle) [355(a) CC];
- Resist Arrest [129(a) CC];
- Careless Use of a Firearm (loaded shotgun) [86(1) CC];
- 2 x Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace (loaded shotgun and pellet gun) [88 CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle [94(1) CC];
- 2 x Possession of a Firearm Obtained by Crime [96(1) CC];
- 2 x Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition [117.01(1) CC];
- 2 x Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC];
SPARVIER made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, September 4, 2018.