Two males, ages 18 and 21, are facing charges in connection with an incident on Sunday evening, involving theft, possession of stolen property and possession of a firearm.
On Sunday, December 9, 2018, at approximately 7:58 p.m., police were dispatched to a department store in east Regina for a report of persons suspected of shoplifting. The loss prevention officer for the store arrested two males, who were later identified as individuals bound by several court-ordered conditions. Preliminary investigation alleged the males went around the store concealing items in a duffel bag and later opening packaging and concealing items on their persons. It’s alleged the suspects passed all points of sale (cash registers) and tried to exit the store. When police arrived and searched one suspect he was found to be in possession of several items believed to be stolen. A search of the second suspect yielded part of a firearm and ammunition. Both males were subsequently charged.
Eighteen year-old Dorian BAKER, of Regina, is charged with:
- Theft under $5000., [334(b) CC];
- Breach of Undertaking, [145(3) CC];
- Possession of Stolen Property under $5000., [355(b) CC]; and
- Possession of Break and Enter tools, [351(1) CC].
Twenty-one year-old Braiden Shade HOTOMANI, of Regina, is charged with:
- Theft under $5000. [334(b) CC];
- Careless use of a firearm, [86(1) CC];
- Carry concealed weapon, [90 CC];
- Possession of a prohibited weapon, [91(2) CC];
- Possession of a Firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized; [92(1) CC];
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with ammunition [95(1)(a) CC] and
- Possession of a Firearm, contrary to Prohibition Order, [117.01(1) CC].
Both accused made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, December 10, 2018.