A 15 year-old male youth is facing numerous charges, including firearms-related charges, following an incident on Sunday, June 16th, involving a stolen vehicle.
On Sunday, June 16, 2019, at approximately 11:45 a.m., a complainant approached police reporting a person driving a black SUV was driving erratically and had almost struck one of his children. He reported that the SUV was parked at a business in the 1800 block of Albert Street. When police arrived, the vehicle took off. Police were able to obtain license plate information and confirmed the vehicle had just been stolen from east of Regina. Moments later, officers found that the vehicle was involved in a collision in the 2700 block of 12th Avenue. A young male was seen running from the vehicle. Police arrested the male suspect, who was intoxicated, moments later. The vehicle was found to contain several items of evidentiary value, linking the suspect in custody with the stolen SUV. Police also recovered a loaded, sawed-off firearm and ammunition from the vehicle. The male youth was subsequently charged.
The male youth cannot be named in accordance with the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act. He is charged with:
- Careless Use of a Firearm (storage) [86(1) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm [92(1) CC];
- Possession of a Loaded or Restricted Firearm [95(1) CC];
- Impaired Operation of a Conveyance [320.14(1)(a) CC];
- Exceed .08 Blood Alcohol Concentration [320.14(1)(b) CC];
- Operate Conveyance Dangerous to Public [320.13(1) CC];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5,000 [355(b) CC];
- Possession of a Firearm Obtained by Crime [96(1) CC];
- Possession of Firearm Contrary to Prohibition [117.01(1) CC];
- Possession of Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition [117.01(1) CC]; and
- Breach Conditions [137 YCJA].
The male youth made his first court appearance on these charges in Youth Court at 9:30 a.m. today: Monday, June 17, 2019.