A 17 year-old Regina male is facing a total of 15 charges resulting from investigations into twelve separate offences, spanning a two-week period in June. The youth was arrested on June 22, 2019, exiting a vehicle that was confirmed to be stolen out of Indian Head, SK. After the arrest, police were able to advance several other investigations, including incidents of Break & Enter, Auto Theft, and Discharge of a Firearm. The incidents are as follows:
- June 9, 2019 – At 9:39 a.m. police were notified of the theft of a Ford F-150 from Tell Place. The theft occurred sometime during the previous night. The vehicle was eventually recovered in the 100 block of East College Avenue.
- June 9, 2019 – At 10:10 p.m., police were dispatched to the 1200 block of Athol Street for gunshots at the back door of a residence. Although there were five occupants in the house, no one was injured.
- June 13, 2019 – At 2:26 a.m., police were dispatched to a residence in the 400 block of Froom Crescent. Someone had shot through the front door of the house. There were a dozen people in the residence, but no one was hurt.
- June 13, 2019 – At 3:47 a.m., police were dispatched to a house in the 5100 block of Snowbirds Crescent for a break and enter. The residents reported hearing someone moving about in the house. An unknown suspect had removed the female resident’s purse and car keys and had stolen a 2013 Toyota Venza. That vehicle was recovered on June 15th in Lumsden, SK.
- June 13, 2019 – At 6:05 a.m., police received a report from 3300 block of Dieter Bay of a stolen 2008 Honda Civic. This vehicle was later recovered in Craik, SK.
- June 13, 2019 – At 8:21 a.m., the residents of a house in the 5500 block of 2nd Avenue North reported their house had been shot at. The projectile went through the siding into the living room and through the television, lodging in a wall. The residents believed the shooting happened overnight while they slept; they were not hurt.
- June 14, 2019 – At 11:08 p.m., police on patrol in the area of Garnet Street and 6th Avenue heard what sounded like gunshots. They investigated and learned that a residence in the 1200 block of Athol Street had been shot at. This was the same residence as the June 9th firearm discharge incident. Police located what appeared to be several .22 calibre shell casings.
- June 15, 2019 – At 12:07 a.m., patrol members encountered a black Ford F150 driving erratically in the area of Albert Street and Saskatchewan drive. Police activated emergency equipment, but the vehicle evaded at a high speed, resulting in a decision not to pursue because of the dangerous driving action of the suspect.
- June 15, 2019 – At 2:25 a.m., Patrol members were dispatched to a business in the 4000 block of Albert Street. A suspect or suspects had attempted to break into the business, but were unsuccessful. The suspects arrived in a truck and fled on foot.
- June 18, 2019 – At 6:10 a.m., a resident in the 3200 block of East Renfrew Crescent reported that sometime during the night his garage was broken into and a Ford F150 truck and bicycle were stolen. The vehicle was recovered later in the day in the area of 7th Avenue and Angus Street.
- June 21, 2019 – Police were conducting surveillance on a suspected stolen vehicle. It stopped in the 2000 block of Pasqua Street and a suspect attempted to break into a Ford F150 truck. The truck was confirmed to have been stolen out of Calgary, AB.
- June 22, 1029 – A 2004 Chev Silverado was reported stolen from Indian Head, SK. Property crimes members located the vehicle in Regina, being driven by a 17 year-old male. The male was arrested without incident in the 2200 block of McAra Street.
Investigation into these incidents resulted in numerous charges against the 17 year-old arrested on June 22nd. This accused cannot be named in accordance with the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act. In all, he faces 15 charges:
- 2 X Break & Enter and Theft (of autos) [348(1)(b) CC];
- Attempt Break & Enter (business) [348(1)(b) CC];
- 4 X Discharge Firearm With Intent [244.2(1)(a) CC];
- 2 X Theft of Motor Vehicle [333.1(1) CC];
- 4 X Possession of Stolen Property (autos) over $5,000. [355(a) CC];
- Possession of Stolen Property (auto) under $5,000. [355(b) CC]; and
- Evade Police [249.1(4)(a) CC].
The 17-year-old made his first court appearance on these charges in Youth Court on June 24, 2019.