The Regina Police Service Drug Unit (RDU) completed an investigation and enforcement action on October 11, 2019, into illegal drug trafficking within the City of Regina. Three individuals have been charged as a result.
On Friday, October 11, 2019, police executed two CDSA (Controlled Drugs and Substances Act) search warrants in the 200 block of Michener Drive and the 4800 block of Green Brooks Way. These searches led to the seizure of controlled substances, currency and a loaded 9mm handgun.
As a result of the enforcement action, 29 year-old Awet Teklemichael MEHARI (male) and 20 year-old Eve Elizabeth MOLANDER (female), both of Regina, and 31 year-old Beniam ABRAHA (male), of Saskatoon, are all jointly charged with:
- Unsafe storage of a firearm [86(2) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm [92(1) CC];
- Possession of a restricted firearm with ammunition [95 CC];
- Possession of a weapon obtained by commission of offence [96 CC];
- Possession of a firearm knowing the serial number had been tampered with [108(1)(b) CC];
- Possession of proceeds of crime under $5000 [355(b) CC]; and
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking (cocaine) [5(2) CDSA].
In addition, MEHARI also received charges for:
- 3 x Breach of Recognizance [145(3) CC]; and
- 2 x Possession of a firearm and ammunition while prohibited [117.01(1) CC].
MOLANDER also received charges for:
- Breach of probation [733.1(1) CC].
All three accused made their first court appearances on their charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, October 15, 2019. All three individuals were remanded into custody.