Three people; two females and a male, are facing charges after an incident on the weekend which started out as an attempt at a traffic stop and ended with the recovery of a loaded firearm.
On Saturday, November 23, 2019 at around 9:08 p.m., a Regina Police Service patrol member attempted to stop a vehicle by turning on emergency equipment; the vehicle, a blue Honda Civic, accelerated away. Unmarked police vehicles were able to follow the vehicle into the Eastview area, where it stopped in an alley and the occupants fled on foot. Police stopped two females and a male, walking in the area, a short time later. They provided their names to police are were permitted to carry on. Police then learned the registered owner of the vehicle was one of the females they’d just spoken to, only she gave a false name. Police were able to locate the three again and detained them. Through further investigation, officers learned the driver had pulled a black duffle bag from the trunk when the car was parked in the alley. That bag was found to contain a loaded rifle. Further investigation led to charges against all three.
Twenty-nine year-old Dustin Martin Lyle MORIN, and 28 year-old Kiri Michele HAIDER, of Regina and 19 year-old Desiree Marie MORIN-JIM of North Battleford, are jointly charged with eight offences:
- Store a Loaded Firearm Contravening Regulations [86(2) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon [90 CC];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition in a Motor Vehicle [94(1) CC];
- Possession of a Loaded Restricted Firearm [95(1) CC];
- Possession of a Firearm Obtained by Crime [96(1) CC]; and
- Flight From Peace Officer [320.17 CC].
In addition, Dustin MORIN faces six (6) charges of Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition [117.01(1) CC].
Also, Kiri HAIDER is charged with Obstruct Peace Officer [129(a) CC] and Identity Fraud [403(1)(a) CC].
And Desiree MORIN-JIM is facing additional charges of:
- Obstruct Peace Officer [129(a) CC];
- 2 X Identity Fraud [403(1)(a) CC];
- 2 X Breach of Undertaking [145(3) CC]; and
- Breach of Probation [733.1(1) CC].
Dustin MORIN, Kiri HAIDER and Desiree MORIN-JIM made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. this morning, Monday, November 25, 2019.