A 23 year-old male is facing a total of 13 charges, including several firearms and weapons charges, after an incident early this morning, involving a Jeep Wrangler.
On Wednesday, November 6, 2019, at about 1:52 a.m., police patrol members spotted a green Jeep Wrangler which matched the description of a vehicle that had evaded police the night before. After confirming it was the same vehicle, officers attempted a traffic stop on the Jeep Wrangler, but the vehicle evaded again, disobeying a red light, and drove away. Police went to the address of the registered owner but the vehicle had not returned there. At about 2:53 a.m., the communications centre updated officers that the Jeep was abandoned near the weigh scales on Highway 11. The vehicle was in the middle of the roadway, facing south in the northbound lanes. With the help of a police Canine team, a male suspect was located in a railcar directly east of the location of the vehicle. Officers learned the suspect had thrown a bag from the vehicle; that bag was later located by police and found to contain a loaded, sawed-off rifle, a knife and an expandable baton. Once the suspect was in custody, officers found he was also in breach of several conditions and a driving prohibition.
Twenty-three year-old Anthony Allan RUS, of Regina, is charged with:
- Flight from Peace Officer [320.17 CC];
- Operation of a Conveyance While Prohibited [320.18(1)(a) CC];
- Breach of Probation [733.1.(1) CC];
- Operation of a Conveyance Dangerous to Public [320.13(1) CC];
- Breach of Recognizance [145(3) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to Public Peace (sawed-off rifle) [88 CC];
- Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to Public Peace (baton) [88 CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon [91(2) CC];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition in a Motor Vehicle [94(1)(a)(ii) CC];
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition [95(1)(a) CC];
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Knowing it was Obtained by Crime [96(1) CC];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its serial number has been tampered with [108(1)(b) CC]; and
- Store Firearm or Restricted Weapon Contrary to Regs [86(2) CC]
The accused, RUS, made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. today (Wednesday) November 6, 2019.