On Saturday, December 21, 2019, at approximately 9:40 p.m., police observed a vehicle, reported as stolen, with a non-matching license plate also reported as stolen, driving a high rate of speed on 5th Avenue. Police followed the vehicle, which then drove northbound into oncoming southbound traffic on the 600 block of Broad Street, before exiting the vehicle on the 500 block of Cornwall Street. A canine track began in search of the suspects. A police member detained a male walking northbound on 2nd Avenue and Rose street, who identified himself as a 29 year-old male, who was found to be wanted on warrants by RCMP, before the canine track also led to the male. The track also led to a 27 year-old male. Both suspects were arrested for possession of a stolen vehicle. Items among the searches included substances believed to be hydromorphone, fentanyl, amphetamine, and cocaine.
Twenty-nine year-old Justin Christopher DEJONG, and twenty-seven year-old Scott Edward Andrew PELLETIER, both of Regina, are charged with:
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000 [CC 355(A)];
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000 [CC 355(B)];
DEJONG is also charged with:
- Possession of a scheduled substance (hydromorphone) [CDSA 4(1)]; and
- Fail to comply with probation order [CC 733.1(1)].
PELLETIER is also charged with:
- Possession of a scheduled substance (fentanyl) [CDSA 4(1)];
- Possession of a scheduled substance (amphetamine) [CDSA 4(1)];
- Possession of a scheduled substance (cocaine) [CDSA 4(1)];
- Dangerous drive [320.13(1)]; and
- Fail to comply with undertaking [CC 145(4)(A)].
Both accused made their first appearance on these charges in Provincial Court, today, December 23, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.