I think that someone I know is being abused. What should I do?
You can learn about different types of abuse and warning signs. Abuse does not just include physical forms of violence. It may also include: emotional, verbal, sexual, spiritual, cultural, and financial abuse as well as crimes such as stalking or neglect.
For more details see: Definitions and Types of Violence
I’m hesitant or scared to try and help. What do I do next?
Don’t talk yourself out of reaching out and helping someone who is a victim of abuse. They need your help. You might feel like…
- I don’t know how to help
- I think it’s a private matter and none of my business
- I don’t see any bruises
- I believe if they really want help they will just ask
- There’s nothing I can do
- I don’t want to interfere
- I don’t know if that’s really what I saw – maybe I am mistaken
- I am afraid to become involved
- I might be wrong
- I am afraid of damaging my relationship with the individuals involved
- It’s probably not as bad as I think it is
- I don’t know what to say
- I am probably overreacting
- I am afraid I will say the wrong things and make things worse
- I don’t want my family to become involved
Please ask for help. Talk to a trusted friend or contact the Domestic Violence Unit at Family Service Regina at (306)757-6675. You can contact the Regina Police Service Non-Emergency line 306-777-6500 or visit the front desk of the police station for advice. You can also visit our resource list which provides contact information for local help lines, police, legal resources, shelters, counselling and support services.
How should I approach and talk to a person I suspect is being abused?
Your number one priority should be to make sure that the victim remains safe. When you talk to them make sure you are in a safe environment where you won’t be interrupted. Do not approach the victim while the abuser is around. You may ask the individual questions such as, Do you feel safe? Is anyone in your life hurting you or making you feel uncomfortable? What do you want to do? How can I help?