About Treaty 4 Citizens’ Police Academy:
The Treaty 4 Citizens’ Police Academy will be held at the Saskatchewan Police College in Regina, SK from May 4th – May 8th, 2020. The Treaty 4 Citizens’ Police Academy is an interactive one week program that gives participants hands on experience and information on many facets of policing. Participants will write the SIGMA exam and run the POPAT test, which are the first two steps in the application process.
Should the applicant be successful in both tests, these can be used for actual police application to a Municipal Police Service within Saskatchewan.
The Regina Police Service started this program 15 years ago in an attempt to:
- Diversify the Police Service by encouraging more Indigenous and Diversity candidates, however, anyone can apply.
- Provide candidates with a better understanding of the opportunities available within the policing profession, and provide a closer look into the initial steps for the hiring process (SIGMA and POPAT).
- Introduce the basic requirements and demands placed on a police recruit at the Saskatchewan Police College.
- Provide a measure of the applicant’s physical and cognitive abilities which are necessary in the hiring process.
During the program the participants will learn about the basic requirements to become a Police Officer in Saskatchewan. The syllabus will include the following:
- Fitness classes
- SIGMA (written entrance exam) practice and official test
- POPAT (physical test) practice and official test
- Drill class/marching
- Firearms training exposure
- Emergency Services presentation (SWAT, Crisis Negotiators, Canine, Bomb)
- Scenarios/Report Writing/Notebooks
- Resume Writing
- Interview Skills
- Public Speaking
- Community Based Policing (proactive problem solving, learning the importance of community partnerships, and the importance of cultural and community diversity)
This is a great opportunity for potential applicants to experience life as a police recruit living in residence at the University of Regina just as Saskatchewan Police Recruits do.
For more information, please contact:
|Indigenous Recruitment Liaison Officer:|