On Saturday, September 24, 2016, your Saskatchewan Roughriders take on the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Mosaic Stadium. The streets will once again be fill with green-clad pedestrians and motorists, so exercise plenty of patience while driving. It’s calling for rain and only +12 degrees, so dress for the weather. (Rider ponchos are all the rage these days!) Game time is 7:30 p.m. so allow for plenty of time to arrive and return home, and watch for other pedestrians and vehicles. Also to note, the Football Express Regina Transit bus is now FREE! The Regina Police Service has additional officers assigned to manage the high vehicle and pedestrian traffic to enhance safety for all game attendees and residents of the area.
There will be no vehicle traffic allowed on the 1500 and 1600 blocks of Retallack Street. Access will be limited to local residents only (you may be asked to show that you are a local resident, e.g. home address on identification or correspondence). Fans and motorists will find road closures on the 1500 block of Retallack Street at Dewdney Avenue; 9th Avenue at Retallack Street and 10th Avenue at Retallack Street. These closures will further restrict westbound vehicle traffic on 9th Avenue and 10th Avenue at Retallack Street.
There will be additional “No Parking” zones on 9th Avenue, east of the stadium, prior to, during and after football games. These zones are necessary to expedite City Transit and to maintain an emergency vehicle corridor for police, fire and EMS should the need arise. Any vehicles parked in these “No Parking” zones will be towed from the area. Police are asking motorists and pedestrians to follow directions, have patience and be courteous to other users of the road.
Other reminders to help everyone enjoy game days include:
1) Remove all valuables for your vehicle and lock the doors. There will be additional police patrols around the stadium during games to deter theft-from-auto and theft-of-auto, but it’s always better to remove or reduce the opportunity for crime (officers cannot be everywhere at once);
2) Respect the neighbourhood. Mosaic Stadium is in a residential neighbourhood and visitors should always ensure they park vehicles legally, refrain from littering and respect the property of others;
3) Consider using public transit (The Football Express which is NOW FREE! Pickup at 4 locations, quick and easy! regina.ca/football-express) or car-pool to make your travel plans easier;
4) Football fans can be beer drinkers; beer drinkers can be football fans. But football fans who are beer drinkers should not try to be motor vehicle operators, too. (That rule applies to drinkers of all types of beverage alcohol.) Please don’t drink and drive; our cruisers aren’t comfortable.
5) Make your game plans before you drive; remember to not use your phone while driving. Same goes for pedestrians; walking while talking (on your phone) can be dangerous in crowds.
Enjoy Game Day and be safe! Go Riders!