On February 28, 2018, at approximately 5:55 p.m., police received information that a male, armed with a machete, was in possession of a stolen vehicle. While on the 4300 block of Dewdney Avenue, a male, armed with a machete, robbed two occupants of their vehicle, and drove away, westbound. One of the occupants was assaulted with the machete during the robbery, and received minor injury.
Shortly after this event, another call was received stating that a vehicle matching the description of the recently stolen vehicle was spotted near Grand Coulee, being driven erratically, and RCMP were advised.
Members of the RCMP and Regina Police Service located the vehicle in a stubble field near Highway 1, where it was driven across the busy highway, onto the eastbound highway lane. A spike belt was deployed, successfully slowing the vehicle to a full stop, and the driver, a twenty-seven year-old male, was taken into custody, arrested, and charged.
Twenty-seven year-old Jason Dustin HOTOMANIE, of Regina, is charged with:
- Driving while ability impaired [CT 253(1)(A)];
- Driving with more than 80 mgs of alcohol in blood [CT 253(1)(B)];
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5000 [CC 355(A)];
- Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle [CT 249(1)(A)];
- Robbery [CC 344(1)(B)];
- Assault with a weapon [CC 267(A)];
- Possession of a weapon [CC 88]; and
- Flight while pursued by peace officer [CC 249.1(1)].
HOTOMANIE makes his first appearance in Provincial Court on these charges today, March 1, 2018, at 2:00 p.m.