The Regina Police Service is happy to announce that, effective immediately, Regina citizens seeking a personal criminal record check can explore using an online service available through the RPS website at www.reginapolice.ca. Although it won’t entirely replace the in-person process, online criminal record checks will provide a convenient and efficient option for many Regina residents. Please note: the Regina Police Service does not process online criminal record checks for people who do not live in the city of Regina. This process is for Regina residents only.
In recent years, more and more businesses and organizations: sports teams, community associations, school boards, charities, and non-profits, are requesting that their employees and volunteers obtain current police record checks. We recognize that it takes time and effort to physically come in to Regina Police Service Headquarters to obtain this important documentation. In order to improve service and efficiency for Regina residents, we have introduced the option of using an online solution. To begin:
- Go to www.reginapolice.ca
- Look under “Resources” for the words “CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK”; or
- Scroll down to “Helpful Links” and click on “CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK”; or
- Click on the “Search” function and type “criminal record check” into the blank field. Hit return.
- Follow the prompts to access the appropriate webpages. Please read the webpages carefully to ensure you meet the criteria, before starting the application process.
It is important to note that some types of police record checks cannot be completely carried out using the online option. For example: if the online criminal record check returns a result that requires fingerprinting, then the applicant has to attend Regina Police Service headquarters, in person, to complete the process. As has always been the case, additional fees may apply when fingerprinting is required. Still, in most typical criminal record checks (volunteering or employment), you may want to save yourself the trip and the time by using the online option.
It is also important to note that added convenience comes with added cost. In this case, the online service provider attaches an additional cost to the existing fee structure for criminal record checks. One of the best ways to know if an online criminal record check is for you is to visit the website. Take the time to browse through the FAQs and the other information provided about the online process. Read all the information thoroughly, because once you have paid, you cannot opt out and obtain a refund.
The process of online criminal record checks has three main steps, each handled by a different partner:
- Accepting/processing/transferring payment – This step is carried out by a Canadian financial technology company called Moneris. Its parent companies are Royal Bank and Bank of Montreal.
- Verifying identity of the applicant – This critical step is handled by TransUnion, an international credit reporting agency. Identity is verified through a series of questions posed to the applicant. NOTE: There is a reasonable time limit placed on each of the identity questions. It is possible an applicant may take too long to answer and the verification of identity is suspended. In those cases the applicant can revert back to the in-person process and simply come in with receipt (from Step 1) and two pieces of identification; we verify identity in person and hand over the criminal record check document.
- Search of Records – This part is still carried out by the Regina Police Service, once we know the online applicant has completed identity verification and payment. Once the online process is complete, the Regina Police Service will mail the completed criminal record check to the address provided by the applicant.
Online criminal record checks are used by many police services in Canada. The results reported by other police services indicate people appreciate having a choice to apply online instead of making a trip to police headquarters to obtain this documentation. Visiting us in person is still an option, of course, but even those who choose to come in person to obtain a criminal record check, find there are shorter wait times for service, which makes the online option beneficial for all.
Questions about Regina Police Service online criminal record checks may be directed to: [email protected] .