The Regina Police Service Drug Unit (RDU) has the following information for release following an investigation into illegal drug trafficking within the City of Regina. As a result of the investigation, with the assistance of the Regina Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit, Regina Street Gang Unit and the Community Services Division, enforcement action was completed on Friday, May 17, 2019.
Criminal Code and CDSA search warrants were executed in the 6000 block of Rochdale Boulevard, 3300 block of Green Poppy Street, 1000 block of Dorothy Street and a storage locker in White City, Saskatchewan.
The results of the searches yielded a large volume of controlled substances: more than 3.4 kilograms of cocaine; over a kilogram of methamphetamine; and approximately 175 grams of fentanyl. In addition, a loaded .22 caliber revolver and over $13,000 in currency were seized. Three adult males, ages 30, 21 and 18, were arrested and charged.
As a result of the enforcement action, 30 year-old Mohammed Ali SALAD of Regina, and 21 year-old Mohamed Baxan BWANA of Saskatoon, are jointly charged with:
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (Methamphetamine) [5(2)CDSA];
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (Cocaine) [5(2)CDSA];
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (fentanyl) [5(2)CDSA];
- Possession of proceeds of crime (Canadian Currency) over $5000 [355(a)CC];
- Unsafe storage of a firearm [86(2)CC];
- Possession of a weapon dangerous to the public [88 CC];
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm [92(1) CC];
- Possession of a prohibited firearm [95(1)(A) CC];
- Tampering with a serial number of a firearm [108(1)(A) CC]
SALAD was also charged with two additional charges:
- 2 X Possession of a firearm contrary to a prohibition order [117.01(1)CC]
In addition, 18 year-old Ismail Saleban MOHAMED of Saskatoon, was charged with:
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (Cocaine) [5(2)CDSA]; and
- Obstructing a Peace Officer [129(a) CC].
All three accused persons made their first appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, May 21, 2019.