On the early morning of Wednesday, June 19, 2019, at approximately 1:15 a.m., police were dispatched to Graham Road and East Jenkins Drive for the report of a robbery. Information received was that a driver was closely followed by a truck westbound on the Victoria Street service road. When the driver turned north, the truck continued to follow closely, so the driver pulled over. The truck also pulled over, and a male exited the truck, pointed a firearm, and demanded the driver exit his vehicle. The victim instead drove away, and once safe, called police. An area search for the truck was negative, but the truck was spotted multiple times throughout the early morning. Attempts to stop the vehicle were unsuccessful.
On June 19, 2019, at approximately 1:10 p.m., police located a truck, which was confirmed to be one reported to police as stolen on June 18, 2019. A group of males, including one who was wearing clothing matching the description of the robbery suspect, fled from the area on foot. Members of the RPS Canine Unit apprehended the suspect male and a search of his belongings yielded a firearm. The male was found to be in breach of conditions of his undertaking.
A 15 year-old male, who cannot be named in accordance with the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is charged with:
- Possession of a weapon [CC 88];
- Carry concealed weapon [CC 90];
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm [CC 91(1)];
- Possession of a firearm or weapon obtained by crime [CC 96(1)];
- 2 X Fail to comply with undertaking [CC 145(3)];
- Careless storage of firearm [CC 86(2)];
- Theft under $5,000 [CC 334(B)];
- Possess property obtained by crime under $5,000 [CC 355(B)];
- Robbery [CC 344(1)(B)]; and
- Theft of motor vehicle [CC 333.1(1)].
The youth made his first appearance in Youth Court yesterday, June 20, 2019 at 2:00 p.m.