On July 31, 2019, at approximately 5:34 a.m., police were dispatched to the area of the 1400 block of Princess Street for the report of a firearms offence. A loud banging noise sounding like a gunshot was heard, and a male was observed walking away from the area. Police attended to the area and spotted a male who matched the provided description in the area of Queen Street. Police arrested the male, and a search of the surrounding area yielded a firearm. A search of the male revealed firearm ammunition.
Police discovered a vehicle in the area which had damage consistent with a gunshot. A live ammunition round was also found near the vehicle.
Twenty year-old Phoenix Pierce SANGWAIS, of Regina, is charged with:
- Careless use of a firearm [CC 86(1)];
- Possession of a weapon [CC 88];
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm [CC 91(1)];
- Possession of a loaded firearm [CC 95(1)];
- Tampering with a serial number of a firearm [CC 108(1)(A)];
- Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized [CC 92(2)];
- Fail to comply with recognizance [CC 145(3)]; and
- Careless storage of a firearm [CC 86(2)].
SANGWAIS makes his first appearance on these charges in Provincial Court today, July 31, 2019, at 2:00 p.m.