Six young persons (five females and a male) are facing charges in connection with two armed robberies that occurred in Regina yesterday. The youths are between the ages of 13 and 16; the victims are 14, 15 and 20 years old.
At approximately 4:45 a.m., on Wednesday, August 21, 2019, police were dispatched to the area of Elphinstone and 10th Avenue for a female youth, who reported having been beaten up and robbed. A motorist in the area offered assistance and called police. Preliminary investigation indicated the incident occurred about 45 minutes earlier in the 3500 block of 13th Avenue. The victim reported that a group of youths, assaulted her and robbed her of a cellphone. One of the youths had a firearm. EMS was requested and the victim was taken to hospital.
While police were investigating the first robbery, report of another robbery was received by the Communications Centre. In this incident, it appeared a 20 year-old female and a 15 year-old female were walking in the area of 14th Avenue and Retallack Street, at about 4:30 a.m., when they were approached by two female youths and a male youth. It’s alleged the male youth pointed a firearm at the victims, who were assaulted and robbed of personal possessions. Police searched the area and found three female youths, who were detained to determine their possible involvement in these incidents. Investigation led to an address in the 2200 block of Rae Street where two more female youths and a male youth were found. Police also seized a loaded, sawed-off .22 calibre rifle. Further investigation led to charges against all six of the teens.
The names of the accused cannot be made public in accordance with the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act. In total, there are 24 charges laid in connection with these cases:
- 13 year-old female: Armed Robbery [344(1)(a) CC];
- 13 year-old female: Armed Robbery [344(1)(a) CC], Breach of Undertaking [145(3) CC];
- 14 year-old female: 2 x Armed Robbery [344(1)(a) CC] 2 x Breach of Undertaking [145(3) CC], 2 x Breach of Probation, Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5000 [355(b) CC];
- 15 year-old female: 2 x Armed Robbery [344(1)(a) CC]; Careless Use of a Firearm [86(1) CC], Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose [88 CC]; Carrying a Concealed Weapon [90 CC], Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm [91(1) CC]; Possession of Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition [95(1)(a) CC].
- 15 year-old male: 2 x Armed Robbery [344(1)(a) CC]; Breach of Probation, 2 x Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm [91(1) CC].
- 16 year-old female: Armed Robbery [344(1)(a) CC] and Breach of Undertaking [145(3) CC].
The accused youths all made their first appearances on these charges in Youth Court at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, August 22, 2019.