Two males (one adult and one youth) have been charged in connection with a weapons offence that occurred on the evening of August 13, 2019.
On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, at approximately 6:13 p.m., police received a report of a weapons offence on the 1800 block of Halifax Street. Police located an injured male youth inside a house on the 1800 block of Halifax Street. EMS transferred the male to hospital for treatment of his injuries.
On August 15, 2019 at approximately 7:50 p.m., police spotted a suspect, wanted in relation to the August 13th weapons offence, in a vehicle in the area of Dewdney Avenue and Lewvan Drive. Police initiated a traffic stop, arrested and charged a 29 year-old male. A search of the vehicle revealed a firearm. Continued investigation into this file led to the arrest, the night of August 16th, of a male youth, wanted in connection with this incident. The suspect was arrested at a residence in the 2000 block of Osler Street without incident. He was subsequently charged.
Twenty-nine year old Ethan VANHARTEN-BAGI, or Regina, is charged with:
- Break and enter and commit an indictable offence (attempt murder) [348(1)(B)];
- Careless use of firearm, weapon, prohibited device or ammunition [86(1) CC];
- Possession of a weapon [88 CC];
- Carrying concealed weapon [90 CC];
- Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized [92(1) CC];
- Unauthorized possession of a prohibited device or ammunition in motor vehicle [94(1) CC];
- Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition [95(1)(A) CC];
- Possession of a firearm, prohibited or restricted weapon obtained by crime [96(1) CC];
- 4 x Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to prohibition order [117.01(1) CC]; and
- 2 x Fail to comply with probation order [733.1(1) CC].
VANHARTEN-BAGI appeared in Provincial Court for these charges on August 16, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.
A 16 year-old male, who cannot be named in accordance with the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is charged with:
- Break and enter and commit an indictable offence (attempt murder) [348(1)(B)]; and
- Breach of Undertaking 145(3) CC].
The youth made his first appearance on these charged in Youth Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, August 19, 2019.