A 28 year-old male is facing charges in connection with a stolen auto investigation on Saturday night in Regina.
On November 16, 2019 at about 1:52 a.m., a canine officer, on patrol, located a suspicious vehicle in the area of 0-100 block Mikkelson Drive. The vehicle, a grey pickup truck, sped off when patrol officers activated emergency equipment. Police were able to keep the vehicle in sight and under surveillance until a spike belt could be safely deployed. The truck carried on, driving through a chain link fence in the 1900 block of Montague Street. The driver fled on foot and was located by the canine team and officers. The suspect heeded the verbal warning from the canine officer and exited a shed without incident. The 2002 Chev Silverado was confirmed stolen out of Yorkton. After further investigation, the driver was charged.
Twenty-eight year-old Nicholas Gregory KERNAZ, of Regina, is charged with:
– Flight from Peace Officer [320.17 CC];
– Dangerous Driving [320.13(1) CC];
– Possession of Stolen Property (vehicle) over $5,000 [355(a) CC];
– 2 X Possession of Stolen Property (license plates) under $5,000 [355(b) CC];
– 2 X Breach of Undertaking [145(3) CC];
– Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC]; and
– Possession of a Scheduled Substance (methamphetamine) [4(1) CDSA].
KERNAZ made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, November 18, 2019.