Two males: ages 27 and 29, are facing charges in connection with a collision and recovery of a firearm on Sunday night. Investigation into the collision led to the discovery of a sawed-off shotgun.
On Sunday, January 12, 2020, at about 10:30 a.m., police were dispatched to a two vehicle collision in the 1300 block of Dewdney Avenue East. The preliminary information indicated one vehicle: a black SUV, was on its side. The other vehicle was a white truck. When police arrived, they established that there were no injured persons in the truck. EMS and Regina Fire and Protective Services were also onscene. The SUV had four occupants; the driver was suspected of being impaired. The driver and three passengers were taken to hospital for treatment. Through the course of the investigation, it was suspected the SUV disobeyed a red light and hit the truck. The driver of the SUV was arrested for three counts of impaired operation of a motor vehicle, causing bodily harm. The driver also had outstanding warrants. One of the male passengers was found to be in possession of a firearm. Both males were subsequently charged.
Twenty-nine year-old Mursal Abukar HAGI, of no fixed address, Regina, is charged with:
- 3 X Impaired operation of a conveyance causing bodily harm [320.14(2) CC];
- Refusal to comply with (blood) demand [320.15(2) CC].
Twenty-seven year-old Faysal Abdulkadii MOUMIN of no fixed address, Regina, is charged with:
- Possession of a weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace [88 CC];
- Carrying concealed weapon [90 CC];
- Unauthorized possession of a prohibited or restricted weapon [91(2) CC];
- Unauthorized possession of firearm in a motor vehicle [94(1) CC];
- Tampering with serial number of a firearm [108(1)(a) CC]; and
- Careless use of a firearm [86(1) CC].
Both accused persons made their first court appearances in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, January 13, 2020.