As the result of investigation by the Regina Police Service Street Gang Unit, a 27 year-old Regina male is facing numerous charges in connection with several incidents, including a home invasion in which a 38 year-old male was hospitalized for an apparent gunshot wound.
The alleged home invasion occurred on March 13, 2020, in the 1900 block Montreal Street. Several patrol units responded to the report of a 38 year-old male who was shot in the foot by someone who broke into the home. The investigation was continued by the Regina Police Service SGU and focused on a suspect in the shooting incident, who was also wanted on several outstanding warrants. Members of the Street Gang Unit were able to locate the suspect the evening of Sunday, March 29, 2020, in the 1200 block of 10th Avenue East. The suspect tried to escape on foot, throwing down a backpack he had been carrying. He was apprehended a short distance away. A search of the backpack yielded a sawed-off shotgun and a second firearm. The male was arrested and charged in connection with the firearms as well as the outstanding warrants. Further investigation led to charges in connection with the March 13th home invasion.
Twenty-seven year-old Rainey Ray TAYPOTAT, of Regina, is charged with:
- Break, Enter and Commit Indictable Offence [348(1)(a) CC];
- Discharge Firearm in a Reckless Manner [244.2(1)(a)(3)(a) CC];
- Use of a Firearm in Commission of an Indictable Offence [85(1)(a) CC];
- 2 x Careless use of a Firearm [86(1) CC];
- 2 x Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon [90 CC];
- 2 x Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC];
- 2 x Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon with Ammunition [95(1)(a) CC];
- Possession of a Prohibited Weapon Knowing it was Obtained by Crime [96(1) CC]; and
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Serial Number has been Removed [108(1)(b) CC].
Rainey TAYPOTAT made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, March 30, 2020.