An eighteen year-old male is facing numerous firearms charges following an incident this morning in Regina.
At approximately 5:40 a.m., on Thursday, April 16, 2020, police were dispatched to the 5600 block of Campling Avenue, for a report of a male, with a pistol in his waistband, who indicated to witnesses that he wanted to harm himself. The male then drove a van away from the scene in a reckless manner, nearly striking another person. The responding officers had reliable information that the handgun was real and possibly loaded. The suspect drove away from Campling Avenue, observed by other police units, initially heading away from, and then back towards, the dispatch address. It’s alleged, at one point, the driver of the van drove aggressively towards officers on foot and a parked police vehicle. The van swerved at the last moment and collided with an electrical utility box. The driver refused to comply with police commands to exit the vehicle; it was believed he still had access to the firearm. One officer deployed OC spray which assisted the officers in taking the suspect safely into custody. The (real) firearm was recovered. The suspect was later transported to hospital by EMS. Further investigation led to a number of firearms-related charges again the individual.
Eighteen year-old Shaye Marshall DASH, of Regina, is charged with the following offences:
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC];
- Possession of a Restricted Firearm Knowing it was Obtained by Crime [96(1) CC];
- Careless Transportation of Restricted Firearm [86(2) CC];
- Possession of a Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition without Authorization [95(1)(b) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon for the Purpose of Committing an Offence [88 CC];
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon [90 CC];
- Tampering with Serial Number of Firearm [108(1)(a) CC];
- 2 X Possession of Ammunition Contrary to Order [117.01(1) CC];
- 2 X Possession of Firearm Contrary to Order [117.01(1) CC];
- Breach of Court Ordered Condition.
DASH will make his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, April 17, 2020.