A 24 year-old male is facing charges including impaired driving and dangerous driving, after an investigation early Sunday morning, May 3, 2020.
This investigation was initiated by a canine officer who observed a GMC Envoy being driven in a dangerous manner. A second officer attempted to conduct a vehicle stop, but the vehicle evaded police. A short time later, the driver abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot. He was later apprehended by a canine team in a yard in the 4700 block of 2nd Avenue North. The suspect, who was displaying signs of impairment, was taken to hospital for injuries sustained after the police canine contact. In further investigation, it is alleged the suspect gave police a false name. Once the suspect’s identity was confirmed, it was discovered he had outstanding warrants as well as new breach changes pending. The male was subsequently charged and held for court.
Twenty-four year-old Dylan Jake SMITH, originally of Regina, is charged with:
- Operate Conveyance in a Manner Dangerous to Public, section 320.13(1) CC;
- Flight from Peace Officer, section 320.17 CC;
- Impaired Operation, section 320.14(1)(a) CC;
- Obstruct Peace Officer, section 129(a) CC;
- Breach of condition of release order, section 145(5)(a) CC; and
- Breach of Probation, section 733.1(1) CC.
SMITH made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, May 4, 2020.