A 21 year-old Regina male is facing charges after the theft of a vehicle from a taxicab driver in Regina on Sunday.
On Sunday, May 3, 2020, at approximately 1:53 a.m., the Regina Police Communications Centre received a call from a cab dispatcher that someone had stolen a vehicle belonging to one of their drivers. Preliminary investigation indicated the driver picked up a fare in the 1400 block of Angus Street and, shortly after that the male customer stole the vehicle. Police were able to locate the vehicle, on the move. Officers were able to get into position at 11th and Cornwall Street to safely deploy a spike belt. The vehicle continued to drive and eventually came to a stop in the area of Albert Street, just south of Dewdney Avenue. The male gave police a false name and there was a knife found on the floor of the cab. In the search incident to the male’s arrest, a small bag of methamphetamine was discovered. The suspect was also found to be a prohibited driver. He was subsequently charged.
Twenty-one year-old Christian Michael HAGEL, of Regina, is charged with:
- Theft of Motor Vehicle, section 333.1(1) CC;
- 2 X Operation of a Conveyance While Prohibited, section 320.18(1)(a) CC;
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance, section 4(1) CDSA;
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace, section 88 CC;
- Possession of Stolen Property over $5,000, section 355(a) CC;
- Obstruct Peace Officer, section 129(a) CC; and
- Mischief under $5,000, section 430(4) CC.
HAGEL made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court, at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, May 4, 2020.