On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at approximately 10:45 p.m., police were dispatched to a report of an assault in the 2000 block of Wallace Street. Information shared with police alleged that the suspect in the assault was carrying a firearm. While en route to the call for service, officers located a male matching the suspect description. The male was walking on 15th Avenue, just a few blocks from where the assault was alleged to have taken place. Police approached the male and asked him to put his hands in the air. When the male raised his arms, officers saw a firearm tucked into the waistband of the male’s pants.
The male was arrested without incident. A search incident to arrest revealed the male was carrying a semi-automatic rifle. The male was also in possession of a quantity of drugs. Further investigation did not reveal evidence sufficient to charge the male in connection with the assault, but is he facing weapons and drug charges.
Twenty-one year-old Zachary Isaiha ACOOSE, of Regina, has been charged with:
• Possession Of A Weapon [CC 88];
• Carrying A Concealed Weapon [CC 90];
• Careless Use Of Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition [CC 86 (1)];
• Possession Of A Firearm Knowing It’s Possession Is Unauthorized [CC 91 (1)];
• Possession Of Firearm Or Ammunition Contrary To Prohibition Order [CC 117.01 (1)];
• Possession Of A Scheduled Substance [CSDA 4 (1)];
• Fail To Comply With Condition of A Release Order [CC 145 (5)(A)].
ACOOSE made his first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court this morning (Monday, June 8) at 9:30 a.m.