A 23 year-old male is facing several weapons-related charges after police attempted a traffic stop on Thursday afternoon.
On Thursday, June 25, 2020 at approximately 3:30 p.m., police attempted a traffic stop on a vehicle in the area of Elphinstone Street and 5th Avenue. When police activated their emergency equipment, the driver of the vehicle evaded police. Officers then deployed a tire deflation device (spike belt) on 6th Avenue. The lone male driver fled the vehicle on foot, but was apprehended by police nearby on the 2400 block of MacKay Street.
After the arrest, officers searched the vehicle and located multiple firearms, ammunition, and bladed weapons. As a result:
Twenty-three year-old Raymond Philip DESJARLAIS has been charged with:
- 2 X Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm [CC 91 (1)];
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm With Ammunition [CC 95 (1)(A)];
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm in Motor Vehicle [CC 94 (1)];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition in Motor Vehicle [CC 94 (1)];
- Possession of a Weapon [CC 88];
- Flight from Peace Officer [CC 320.17];
- Fail To Comply With Probation Order [733.1 (1)].
DESJARLAIS made his first appearance in Provincial Court today (June 26, 2020) at 9:00 a.m.