On Sunday, May 31st, 2020 at approximately 3:35 a.m., a member of the Regina Police Service K9 Unit observed a vehicle with an expired permit parked at a business in the 2100 block of Broad Street. The officer confirmed there were two occupants of the vehicle – a male and a female – who were inside the business. The male occupant exited the business and approached the vehicle. The male ignored police commands not to enter the vehicle, and instead sat in the driver’s seat and turned the vehicle on. Police extracted the male from the vehicle and he fled on foot. Members of the K9 Unit, with assistance from patrol members, were able to locate the male nearby on the roof of a residence on the 2100 block of Halifax Street. Police directed the male off the roof and he was taken into custody.
Meanwhile, the female occupant of the vehicle also approached the vehicle, still parked on the 2100 block of Broad Street. An altercation ensued between the female and the police officer. During the altercation, the female uttered threats toward the police officer and resisted arrest. Once the female was in custody, police performed a search of the vehicle incident to arrest. The search revealed a firearm, ammunition, a bladed weapon, and a quantity of drugs.
As a result, 29 year-old Jordan Thomas Lee MCNABB and 24 year-old Shyla Mist ALEXSON, both of Regina, are jointly charged with:
- Possession of a Weapon [CC 88];
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm With Ammunition [CC 95 (1)(A)];
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon [CC 91 (2)];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing It’s Possession is Unauthorized [CC 92 (1)];
- Unauthorized Possession of Prohibited Device or Ammunition in a Motor Vehicle [CC 94 (1)(A)(ii)];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing Serial Number Has Been Tampered With [CC 108 (1)(B)];
- 2 X Careless Use of a Firearm, Weapon or Ammunition [CC 86 (1)];
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime [CC 355 (B)]; and
- 3 X Possession of a Scheduled Substance For the Purpose of Trafficking [CDSA 5 (2)].
ALEXSON is facing additional charges of:
- Uttering Threats [CC 264.1 (1)(A);
- Resist Arrest [CC 129 (A)].
Both MCNABB and ALEXON made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court this morning (June 1, 2020) at 9:30 a.m.