A 21 year-old male is facing several weapons-related charges after an incident on Friday morning.
On Friday, August 7, 2020 at approximately 7:45 a.m., police were dispatched to the 2500 block of 2nd Avenue for a report of a firearms offence. Early information suggested that a male approached a female victim and showed a firearm in his waistband, before running away. Police spotted a male matching the description of the suspect in the area; he was challenged by police and fled on foot. Police located a loaded firearm in the area, as well as a backpack containing ammunition. A short time later, police again located the suspect in the 600 block of Albert Street and pursued the male in a foot chase. He was appended in the 500 block of Albert Street. Investigation revealed that while running from police, the male entered a business and threatened an individual with a firearm. As a result:
Twenty-one year-old Mackenzie DESNOMIE, of the Balcarres District, has been charged with:
- Assault With a Weapon [CC 267 (A)];
- Careless Storage of a Firearm [CC 86 (2)];
- Possession of a Weapon [CC 88];
- Carrying Concealed Weapon [CC 90];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing It’s Possession is Unauthorized [CC 92 (1)];
- Possession of a Loaded or Restricted Firearm [CC 95 (1)]; and
- Fail To Comply With Condition of a Release Order [CC 145 (5)(A)].
DESNOMIE made his first court appearance on these charges on Friday, August 7, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.