On Thursday, August 13, 2020, at approximately 5:20 p.m., police received a report of a weapons offence involving a firearm on the 1300 block of Argyle Street. A near collision between two vehicles on the intersection of Argyle and 7th Avenue, led one of the drivers to honk their horn to notify the other driver to stop. The other driver then produced a firearm and pointed at the occupants of the vehicle that honked the horn.
Investigation by the Regina Police Service Crime Reduction Team (CRT) led to the seizure of the suspect vehicle. A search warrant was executed by CRT, Patrol, and K9 members on a residence on the 3800 block of 20th Avenue. Located in the search was a firearm, ammunition, a large amount of currency, and evidence of drug trafficking. The thirty year-old male suspect was arrested and charged.
Thirty year-old Mursal Abukar HAGI, of Regina, is charged with:
- Pointing a Firearm [CC 87];
- Careless Storage of Firearm [CC 86(2)];
- Unauthorized Possession of Firearm [CC 91(1)];
- Possession of Restricted Firearm with Ammunition [CC 95(1)(A)];
- Tampering with Serial Number of Firearm [CC 108(1)(A)];
- 2 X Possession of Firearm / Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [CC 117.01(1)];
- Possession of a Weapon [CC 88];
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000 [CC 355]; and
- Failure to Comply with Release Order [CC 145(5)(A)].
HAGI made his first appearance on these charges in Provincial Court today, Monday, August 17, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.