A 31 year-old male is facing numerous charges, including weapons charges, after what began as an investigation into possession of a stolen bicycle.
On Sunday, September 20, 2020, at approximately 5:30 p.m., a plainclothes officer on duty saw a male cycling in the area of 5th Avenue and Athol Street. The officer noted the unique-looking bike matched the description of a mountain bike stolen in a garage break and enter on Friday, September 18th. The officer radioed other members in the area who were able to stop the cyclist near 5th Avenue and Elphinstone. The officers saw what appeared to be a handgun in the cyclist’s open backpack and a hunting knife on his person. The male was arrested; further investigation revealed the suspect was the subject of a warrant and on several conditions. A search incident to arrest revealed seven knives, bear spray, a pellet gun with magazine, a magazine for a .22 calibre, and substances believed to be methamphetamine and fentanyl.
Thirty-one year-old Joseph Paul ACOOSE, of Regina, is charged with:
- 10 X Carry Concealed Weapon [90 CC];
- 10 X Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
- Possession of Break-in Instruments [351(1) CC];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5,000 [355(b) CC];
- Fail to Comply [145(5)(a) CC];
- Possession of Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order [117.01(1) CC]; and
- 2 X Possession of a Scheduled Substance [4(1) CDSA.
ACOOSE made his appearance in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. this morning, Monday, September 21, 2020.