Five adults are facing criminal charges as the result of police investigation into a break and enter yesterday. The charges against the two males and three females range from: breaches to firearms offences.
On Tuesday, October 13, 2020, at approximately 1:54 p.m., police were dispatched to a residence in the 1900 block of Halifax Street. The owner of the house reported that there were people, not known to him, inside the house; one window was broken and the locks had been changed. Officers approached the house and spoke with a female who said she was there visiting a friend. It appeared there were six people in the house. All were initially taken into custody to determine what involvement they may have in the alleged Break & Enter. As officers cleared the house, they observed baggies containing what appeared to be drugs, bear spray, bolt cutters, a handgun and a sawed-off .22 rifle. The handgun was later confirmed to be a BB gun. Officers obtained the owner’s consent to search the property and found a loaded SKS rifle, machetes, knives, shotgun shells, .22 calibre ammunition, other street drugs, a weighing scale, and a counterfeit $100-bill. In that search, an officer also found an 18 year-old male hiding under the sink. Through further investigation, two of the females who’d been taken into custody were released at the scene. There is evidence to support the following charges:
Twenty-four year-old Marlon Roland WHITEHAWK, of Regina, is charged with:
- Careless Use of a Firearm (SKS rifle) [86(1) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
- Possession of a Firearm knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC];
- 2 X Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Order [117.01(1) CC]; and
- Breach of Condition of Release Order [145(5)(a) CC].
Twenty-six year-old Deanna Marilyn McKAY, of Regina, is charged with Breach of Condition of Release Order [145(5)(a) CC].
- A 38 year-old female was released on an undertaking to be in court on November 30, 2020;
- A 25 year-old female was arrested for Break & Enter and outstanding warrants; and
- An 18 year-old male was arrested for breach of his condition of no contact with one of the other occupants of the house.
All the accused persons (unless otherwise noted) made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. today (Wednesday, October 14, 2020).