An adult male from Calgary and an adult female from Saskatoon are charged in connection with a weekend robbery. The same male is also now charged in two other recent robberies in Regina.
On Saturday, October 10, 2020, at approximately 6:44 p.m., police received a call for service for a business robbery in the 3900 block of Albert Street. Preliminary information indicated the male suspect entered the store, approached the cash register with some expensive products and then showed a firearm and demanded cash. The male left the store with the merchandise and got into a waiting vehicle. No one at the business was physically injured in the incident. Police obtained images of the suspect vehicle; a distinct, two-tone Lexus. Officers were also able to secure surveillance footage and other evidence that led to identification of the male suspect. The vehicle images were circulated to patrol members who located the Lexus parked at a restaurant on East Dewdney Avenue. From there surveillance was conducted on the Lexus and its female driver, which followed a cab north out of town. Both vehicles were stopped in traffic stops and two individuals; a male and a female; were taken into custody and charged in connection with the Albert Street robbery. The female suspect was also allegedly in possession of numerous types of narcotics and subsequently charged.
Further investigation led to charges against the same male suspect in connection with two other recent robberies as well. A brief summary of those offences is as follows:
- On October 8, 2020, at about 2:11 p.m., police were dispatched to a robbery at a business in the 2700 block of Montague Street. A male suspect displayed a firearm and demanded merchandise. It’s believed the suspect fled the area on a bicycle before police arrived. The employee was not physically injured.
- On September 16, 2020 at 5:06 p.m., police were dispatched to a robbery at a business in the 200 block of University Park Drive. A male suspect, armed with a firearm, had just robbed the business. Police obtained a suspect description, but an area check at the time failed to locate the suspect. The staff member was not physically injured in this incident.
Thirty-five year-old Brandy GUMULCAK, of Saskatoon, is charged with:
- Armed Robbery [344(1)(a.1) CC];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5,000 [355(a) CC]; and
- 3 X Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking (hydromorphone, morphine, codeine) [5(2) CDSA].
Forty year-old Michael Newman WRIGHT, OF Calgary, is charged with:
- 3 X Armed Robbery [344(1)(a.1) CC];
- 3 X Wearing a Disguise with Intent to Commit an Indictable Offence [351(2) CC];
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5,000 [355(a) CC];
- 2 X Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking (morphine, codeine) [5(2) CDSA]; and
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (methamphetamine) [4(1) CDSA].
GUMULCAK and WRIGHT made their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. (today) on Tuesday, October 13, 2020.