An adult male and adult female are facing firearms charges after investigation into what began as a suspicious vehicle call for service in the City’s Northwest on Friday night.
At approximately 9:09 p.m. on Friday, October 9, 2020, police were dispatched to the area of Boyce Street, for a suspicious vehicle. Preliminary information indicated a firearm was seen, wrapped up, inside the suspect vehicle. Police approached the vehicle and spoke with the two occupants. Officers were permitted to search the vehicle and located a modified firearm hidden behind the driver’s seat. Both occupants were arrested for a firearms offence. Further investigation showed the female suspect to have firearms prohibitions orders; the male was on a conditional sentence order (CSO) not to possess firearms. A search of the suspects, incident to arrest, also revealed a quantity of drugs in the female’s possession. Both were charged.
Forty-eight year-old Chad Arthur GIROUX and 34 year-old Angela Dawn CURRIE, both of Moose Jaw, are jointly charged with:
- Careless use of a firearm, weapon, prohibited device or ammunition storage of a firearm [86(1) CC];
- Possession of a weapon dangerous to the public [88 CC];
- Possession of a prohibited Firearm [91(2) CC];
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm knowing it was unauthorized [92(!) CC];
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle [94(1) CC]; and
- Tampering with a serial number of a firearm [108(1)(a) CC].
In addition Angela CURRIE is also charged with:
- 2 X Possession of a firearm contrary to an order [117.01(1) CC]; and
- 2 X Possession of a Scheduled Substance (methamphetamine, cocaine) [4(1) CDSA].
The accused made their first court appearance on these charges in Provincial Court at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, October 13, 2020.