Two adults – a 38 year-old male and a 29 year-old female – face numerous charges after an overnight incident with suspects involved in dangerous driving, possession of firearms, a suspected drug overdose and a medical emergency.
At approximately 1:04 a.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2020, a number of police units were engaged in trying to intercept a white, GMC Acadia, which had been observed driving erratically, at a high rate of speed, and causing oncoming vehicles to move out of its way. Early information indicated the vehicle, with two occupants, had nearly hit two police vehicles. The SUV was located, stopped, in the area of 12th Avenue and Winnipeg Street. When police challenged the occupants to get out of the vehicle, the male driver disregarded commands; the female passenger exited the vehicle. The woman was taken into custody without further incident. Police continued to shout commands for the driver to get out of the car, but he would not comply. After several minutes, it appeared the male had become unresponsive. Officers approached and saw the male slumped over the steering wheel. EMS was requested as police removed the driver from the vehicle. Officers administered Naloxone (Narcan) fearing the driver was experiencing a drug overdose. EMS transported the male to hospital. At the scene, police recovered a sawed-off shotgun inside the vehicle, as well as an unknown substance, believed to be drugs. A search of the female suspect’s purse located ammunition. Investigation led to numerous charges against both suspects.
Thirty-eight year-old Jason Dieon TANNER, and 29 year old Krista Ashley CHECKOSIS, both of Regina, are jointly charged with:
- Possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition [95(1)(a) CC];
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle [94(1) CC];
- Possession of a weapon (sawed-off shotgun) for a dangerous purpose [88 CC]; and
- Careless storage of a firearm [86(2) CC].
In addition, Jason TANNER is charged with:
- Operate a conveyance (vehicle) in a manner dangerous to public [320.13(1) CC];
- Flight from peace officer [320.17 CC];
- Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized [92(1) CC];
- Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to prohibition order [117.01(1) CC]; and
- Breach of probation [733.1(1) CC].
Also, Krista CHECKOSIS is charged with:
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm [91(1) CC];
Both accused persons will make their appearances on these matters in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m., today (Thursday, November 5, 2020).