Investigation into a stolen auto incident led to two arrests and the recovery of a weapons and drugs. As a result, two adult males will be in court this afternoon (Monday) facing a number of Criminal Code and CDSA charges.
On Monday December 14, 2020, at approximately 3:19 a.m., officers spotted a stolen 2004 Dodge Dakota driving throughout the city. (The truck was stolen from the area of 5th Avenue and Edgar Street on Friday, December 11, 2020.) Police observed as the two male occupants of the truck, abandoned the vehicle in the city’s downtown. Officers and a canine team apprehended the two suspects a short distance from the stolen truck. Both males were arrested without incident. Investigators found a duffel bag inside the truck which contained a sawed-off shotgun and an imitation shotgun. A search of one of the males yielded a knife. A search of the driver revealed a quantity of drugs and cash. Investigation into this incident led to charges against both males.
Thirty-eight year-old Jeffrey Kyle BABCOCK and 31 year-old Craig Jordan MACHISKINIC, both of Regina, are jointly charged with:
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime under $5,000 [355(b) CC];
- Store Firearm Contrary to Regulations [86(2) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace [88 CC];
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized [92(1) CC]; and
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Vehicle [94(1)(a)(ii) CC].
In addition, Jeffrey BABCOCK is charged with:
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (cocaine) [4(1) CDSA]; and
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance (fentanyl) [4(1) CDSA].
Also: Craig MACHISKINIC, is facing these additional charges:
- Breach of Release Order [145(5)(a) CC];
- Possession of a Weapon for a Purpose Dangerous to Public Peace (knife) [88 CC];
- Carrying Concealed Weapon [90 CC]; and
- Possession of a Firearm Contrary to Prohibition [117.01(1) CC].
Both accused males will make their first court appearances on these charges in Provincial Court at 2:00 p.m. today, Monday December 14, 2020.